Review the information below to learn more about tutoring services, locations, guidelines, and staff.
The Tutoring and Learning Center provides in-person and online course tutoring, drop-in math assistance, presentation tutoring, and more for Joliet Junior College students. Click here to view a short video featuring TLC services.
- The TLC provides in-person and online tutoring with peer or professional tutors for nearly every credit-bearing course at JJC. Call or stop by to schedule your appointment.
Drop-in Math Assistance
- The Main Campus TLC provide free drop-in math tutoring for all levels of math coursework, including placement testing preparation. With no appointment necessary, a student can work with peer and professional math tutors. Students may also receive assistance with the following math software: My Math Lab, My Stats Lab, and Geometer's Sketchpad.
- If you are preparing a presentation for a speech course or any other course on campus, a professional speech tutor is available to assist you at the Main Campus TLC with the following:
- Developing presentations
- Drafting outlines
- Conducting research
- Practicing presentation
- Learning PowerPoint
- Recording presentations
Reading and Writing Tutoring
- TLC peer and professional English tutors can help students with English and all other courses at JJC with regard to
- Reading comprehension
- Reading Strategies
- Brainstorming ideas
- Developing a thesis
- Organizing ideas for essays and research
- Revising a draft
- Supporting arguments
- MLA/APA and other formatting
- Integrating quotes
- Using correct documentation
- Creating effective introductions and conclusions
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses in writing
- Reviewing grammar
- TLC peer and professional English tutors can also provide assistance with writing scholarship essays and college application essays.
- The TLC provides in-person and online test preparation assistance for placement testing (Accuplacer, ALEKS), high school equivalency testing (GED, HISET, TASC), and the TEAS.
Scheduled and Unscheduled Closures
Scheduled and unscheduled events may close the tutoring center. Please review the links below to learn about these closures and plan your visit accordingly.
The TLC is only open when JJC courses are in session. Hours vary by location and JJC students are encouraged to call ahead.
See the Academic Calendar for scheduled college closings.
See the Winter Weather Info page for unscheduled college closings.
Hours vary by location. Please review the information below to select a location that best meets your needs, keeping in mind that some tutoring services are limited to a particular location.
Main Campus – Tutoring and Learning Center (C-2010)
- 815-280-2730 or 815-280-CUBE (2823)
Romeoville Campus – Tutoring and Learning Center (RMA-1039)
- 815-280-7785 or 815-280-7786
City Center Campus – Tutoring and Learning Center (JCTR-6002)
- 815-280-1301 or 815-280-1302
Online Tutoring – Smarthinking
To provide high quality and consistent service, the TLC requests all patrons abide by these tutoring guidelines.
- Tutoring is not a substitute for attending class. If a student does not attend class, he/she cannot participate in tutoring.
- TLC tutors will not assist with practice tests or take-home exams.
- Students may only be tutored for classes in which they are currently enrolled.
- Students may only receive one hour of tutoring per week per subject unless otherwise approved by the Academic Skills Center Coordinator.
- Students may only book appointments 10 business days in advance.
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the Tutoring Rooms. These items must be disposed before entering the Tutoring and Learning Center.
- If a student is more than 10 minutes late, his/her appointment is automatically cancelled. If a student misses two appointments, Tutoring and Learning Center staff has the right to deny the student future tutoring appointments. The student will then be permitted to use these services on a drop-in basis only.
- Student must provide at least two hours' notice prior to cancelling a session. Students who chronically cancel session may lose schedule privileges for the semester.
- Children are not allowed in the Tutoring Rooms.
- Tutees must prepare for the tutoring sessions by (1) reviewing course materials; (2) making a reasonable effort to complete reading and/or homework; and (3) compiling a list of questions, comments, and concerns.
- Tutees must actively participate in the tutoring sessions by (1) determining mutually agreed upon goals and objectives with the tutor for each session; (2) at the end of each session, determining if needs/ expectations were met; and (3) communicating to tutor if any needs are not adequately addressed.
- All tutees must adhere to Student Code of Conduct.
Tutoring and Learning Center Staff
Below is a listing of TLC staff including the coordinator, secretary, professional tutors, and receptionists.
David Hampton, Esq., Academic Skills Center Coordinator
Phone: (815) 280-2220
Amber Carlisle, Academic Skills Center Secretary
Phone: (815) 280-6667
Mary Baskerville, Professional English Tutor
"Ms. Baskerville went above and beyond to explain the material for my English essay...Thank you Ms. Baskerville for your assistance. I greatly appreciate what you did for me. You're a great tutor." – English student
Chrystal Burich, Professional English Tutor
"She was great! She did a great job creating a great learning environment and made a great impact on my confidence for this paper. Would recommend her as a tutor." – English student
Rob Clodfelter, Accounting Technical Tutorial Assistant
"Rob is awesome and really cares about what he is doing!" – Accounting student
"The material I was given helped me out so much. Glad I came for tutoring!" – Math student
Denise Curry, Professional English/ TEAS Tutor
"Denise is an amazing English tutor. She does not write your essay for you, which I appreciate. She tries to explain the writing assignment and then helps brainstorm. She is an amazing guide. I would recommend her to anyone!" – English student
Christine Fiorite, Professional English Tutor
"Christine is great and she teaches me in a in a way that everything seems so easy." – English student
Nancy Gaffney, Professional Computer Science/ OFS Tutor
"Nancy has been so helpful. I don't think I would have been able to pass this class without her help. She is very good at explaining things." – OFS student
"The staff was awesome, and Nancy went out of her way to help me. Thank you." – Sociology student
Clinton Garwood, Professional Computer Science Tutor
"OMG... Clint was such a big help in tutoring me for my class. Still really nervous but feel a little better now." – CIOS Student
Jean Gould, Professional Math Tutor
"At first I knew nothing about geometry but after I felt very prepared!!" – Math Student
Cecilia Jackson, Professional English Tutor
"This was my first time attending the JJC TLC, and I took more out of it than expected. I will be back in the future!" – English student
Natalie Jackson, Professional Math Tutor
"I liked how my tutor showed me examples, sat down, and explained the material. It helped me a lot and I look forward to coming back so I can do better in my MATH 098 course." – Math student
Dr. Sabrina Jones, Professional English Tutor
"She was awesome! Very clear and showed me a new website to use for the text citations." – English student
Andrzej Kubis, Professional Math Tutor
"The tutoring center is always worth going to!!" – Math student
Larry Lahm, Professional Math Tutor
"He helped me think of different ways to set up the problems to find the answers." – Chemistry student
Gretchen Nurczyk, Professional Math Tutor
"Gretchen is amazing!" - Math student - "Mrs. Nurczyk is a great math tutor. She knows the material, she is patient and meticulous in convenient that material to others. I would recommend Mrs. Nurczyk to anyone experiencing difficulties with math." – Math student
Dr. Ann Padden, Professional Math Tutor
"Dr. Ann explains the material to me in a real world sort of way. I know I am better prepared for class due to the time and understanding that she has given me." - Math student
Deb Pletcher, Professional Math Tutor
"Deb Pletcher explains the material in such a comprehensive format. She truly has a gift for tutoring. Thank you!" – Math student
Trisha Russo, Professional Math Tutor
"I hope I get to see her again!" – Health Information Management student
Fremont Schneider, Professional Math Tutor
"Calculus I is difficult and I've taken it a couple of times at JJC. Without the help at the TLC, I would probably be taking Calculus I again over the summer. It is very helpful to go through the problems step by step, and before you know it the questions become answers that you now understand." – Math student
Janis Shumac, Professional English Tutor
Janis is amazing! She was able to help me brainstorm and show me the right format to organize my thoughts. – English student
Melanie Sprengel, Professional Biology/ TEAS Tutor
Melanie was extremely helpful. I feel more confident about the material. – Biology student
Kimberly Steger-Nikolic, Professional Speech Tutor
"I went to the TLC to do a speech and it was really nerve-wracking but the tutor was very nice and down to earth and helped me out a lot on my speech and gave me great tips. She really knew what she was doing and made me feel less stressed, so I think I will definitely return to practice speeches there." – Speech student
Jean Tyrell, Professional English Tutor/ TEAS Tutor
"Having her break everything down helped a lot. I feel more confident about my writing." – English student
Kathy Weishaar, Professional Math Tutor
"Upon being my first time at the tutoring center, I was completely satisfied and impressed. The tutor had a good way of teaching the material and was very patient. The whole experience was much more impressive than I imagined." – Math student
Concetta Williams, Professional English Tutor
"Tutor was very understanding and helpful I feel confident with my assignment." – English student
Dr. Steve Wright, Professional Biology Tutor
"Mr. Wright was a huge help. Biology has never been an interest of mine, but with him I was actually interested. He put everything in terms I could understand. I now feel extremely confident in what I am doing. I would definitely go back to him if I need any more help." – Biology student
Sheena Phillips, Receptionist
"As an adult learner, I was very impressed with the tutoring center. Everyone, beginning at the front desk, was very kind, informative, and patient with me." – Math student
Sally Snyder, Receptionist
Sally is always willing to help. Feel free to stop in and say, "Hi!"
Last updated on December 8, 2017.