Disability Services

Main Campus A-1125 (Campus Center)
Office Phone: (815) 280-2230
Resource Room Phone: (815) 280-2613
Fax: (815) 280-2820
Email: disabilityservices@jjc.edu

Monday – Thursday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Friday: 8:00am – 4:30pm
(Closed on Fridays during the summer)

Supporting Our Veterans 

If you see an error on this page, please contact the Director of Academic Intervention and Accommodation Services.

Disability Services

Empowering students with disabilities to enable equal access to an education at Joliet Junior College


Disability Services is the office designated by the college to support students and community members with disabilities under Section 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Disability Services arranges accommodations for eligible students and community members, and assists college administration, faculty, and staff to provide required accommodations. 

Students who are eligible for accommodations through Disability Services must first provide the necessary documentation of their disability. An Intake appointment will be scheduled once the documentation is approved. See our Documentation explanation to ensure the documentation requirements are met. Please see our Prospective Students page for clarification of the intake process and to access the Request to Review Documentation form (please use Internet Explorer as your web browser).

Mission Statement

Disability Services values diversity and inclusion. We are committed to a climate of mutual respect and full participation by providing an accessible experience for all students, staff, faculty, and community members.

Eligibility for Disability Services

To be eligible for accommodations, students must register with Disability Services and provide documentation of disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Disability is defined as:

  1. A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities such as walking, standing, seeing, speaking, hearing, sitting, breathing, reading, learning, thinking, performing manual tasks, or taking care of oneself.
  2. Has a record of such impairment or is perceived as having such impairment. 

Disability Services FAQs

Sheet of math notes

Are all JJC students eligible for Disability Services?

NO.  Accommodations and transition services are only available to students with documented disabilities. For more information about Eligibility for Disability Services visit our Disability Services page.

How does a student know if he/she is eligible for services from Disability Services?

If a student had an IEP or 504 Plan in high school or has a documented disability, the student should be eligible for services. To be sure, please contact Disability Services at 815-280-2230 or visit Main Campus office in A-1125 to find out more information.

Do all students with disabilities or health conditions receive services?

No. Students must have current documentation and must request accommodations. See our Documentation explanation for information on documentation requirements and Prospective Students for information about how to register with Disability Services.

What is documentation? What are the policies on documentation?

Documentation provides information as to what the disability is and the functional limitations that the disability imposes on the student. Disability Services provides academic accommodations based on each student's educational needs as determined by the student's verification of his/her disability and information gathered during the intake process. See Prospective Students for additional information about how to register with Disability Services.

If I had my high school transcripts sent to JJC, does that mean my IEP automatically is sent as well?

No. You will need to request your documentation from the high school. Be sure to check our documentation requirements before you requests your IEP. Please see the website for Documentation requirements.

Can I just bring my last IEP?

No.The Transition IEP does not give Disability Services any information about your disability. Please see the website for Documentation requirements.

Are there special or separate classes for students with a disability?

Joliet Junior College does not have separate classes or special education classes for students with disabilities. Students attend regular college level or developmental classes with appropriate accommodations and transition support. Students with disabilities may enroll in any class they choose as long as they have met the class prerequisites. Students with disabilities must be prepared to meet the class objectives which are discussed at the beginning of the semester by the instructor and listed in the class syllabus. Academic standards cannot be altered in any way.

Joliet Junior College does have a vocational education program offered through the Culinary Arts Department. See the following link for more information: Vocational Skills Food Service Flyer.pdf.

Revised 10/25/2017